Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Last Week: GOD LESSON


Look at Emma's massive pizza



This picture has nothing really to do with this blog post; other than the fact that Emma was what spurred on these thoughts.

On Saturday, I met Charlie, Scott, Dana, and Emma at Sorbillo for lunch. After we ate our massive pizzas (well not me; I just had a few bites of Scott's) the plan was to go on a short version of the city center tour. It was raining and cold and poor little Emma had been walking in it all day. So she opted to have me take her back to the house. I made her walk all the way to my apartment to drop something off and then walk all the way back to the metro in that cold, rainy, dreadful weather. We finally got onto the metro after 20 minutes. We sat down and Emma curled right up to me and laid her head in my lap.
Here starts my lesson.

Outside was rainy, cold, ugly weather. She was miserable and couldn't feel her feet. The metro was warm and toasty (I'll leave out the part that is was full of stinky Italians though), and she was curled up, nice and cozy in my lap. For some reason I thought of God.

I often see God through life's analogies, or in nature. One of my favorite things back in America was the thirty minute drive to school every morning. It was a sweet time with God for me. Some mornings I would sing my little heart out all the way to school. Some mornings I would pray my little heart out; but I never cried my little heart out, because, well, that just doesn't happen for me very often. But regardless of what each morning's drive consisted of, on the mornings that the weather was clear blue skies... the same thing would happen... at the same spot... always.
There is one place on this two lane highway that opens up to sugar cane fields after being lined with trees for a few miles. I would pass this spot at around the same time everyday; when the sun had just popped above the tree line and shined right into the cane field. On those clear blue sky days, when I reached that spot of my drive, no matter what I was doing, I would stop and think about how amazing God is that He made the blue color of the sky match so perfectly well with the green color of the sugar cane.
At this point you may be thinking, "what an odd thing to think." Yes; perhaps. But I love nature. I love the sun and blue skies and green grass. I love those two colors together. I think they are perfect for each other. And when I see them together I think of the awesome Creator that I serve. He made those colors to be that way, and I stand amazed when I see them.
That is one of my favorite ways to see God in creation and life.

I told you that long story to tell you this story:
(back to Emma)

As Emma laid in my lap, I couldn't help but think of how she was content to lay in my lap and rest. Outside was a world of misery for her (if you consider being wet and cold and not feeling your feet misery); but inside; inside was nice and comfy. As I was beginning to think about this, she looked up at me and asked:
"Cortney, how many stops are left?"

" Just 5."

"Oh. Cool. Ok then."

Then she put her head back down on my lap and snuggled up closer to me. I was floored. Jesus talks about childlike faith in the gospels. I've never personally experienced a better analogy than this. Well, ok, maybe I have; but currently I can't remember it.

Why do I not snuggle up to God in this way? Why do I not lay my head in His lap and go along for the ride? Outside, the world is cold and wet and nasty. Inside, in God's lap, everything is nice and toasty and I can be content with no worries.
I just need to lift up my head, ask how many more stops, and lay back in His lap. Content. Trusting that the course of life will continue to run and I need not worry about anything because I am in the care of the God Almighty.


No comments:

Post a Comment