Sunday, August 1, 2010

Spurgeon's thoughts on Naples

Today after hearing a few C.H. Spurgeon quotes while listening to a sermon, I decided to look into his writings and maybe do a little reading. If you know anything about him, then I'm sure you know there was a ton of things to choose from. I decided to read through the letters that he wrote to his wife while he was traveling without her in Italy. I discovered that his travels took him through Naples and all that surrounds it. I also discovered that not much has changed about Naples since the time of Spurgeon. In my opinion (so very Italian of me to use this phrase), Spurgeon's description of Naples in the 1860's accurately describes Naples today; give or take a few technological advances. So I have decided to let Spurgeon share his opinion of my city with you.

"THIS MORNING, we drove through Naples for, I should think, six or seven miles or more. It is a crowded city, full of stirs, full of business, and full of pleasure. Horses seem innumerable, they are decorated profusely, and the carriages are very comfortable; but, I am sorry to say, the men drive furiously, and make me very nervous. Old women are numerous and hideous, beggars pestiferous, and dealers intensely persevering. But what a bay! What a sea and climate! No one ought to be ill here."

"Our hotel here is vast and empty; we have excellent rooms, and are thoroughly comfortable. There is music continually, and very fair music, too, though not so sweet as silence. Everybody makes all the noise possible, and quiet dwells beyond the sea. Rome is a sepulcher, this city teems with life. You are not out of the door a moment before you are entreated to have a carriage, buy fruit, fish, pictures, papers, or something. The side-streets swarm with people, who appear to live in them; there they eat, cook, work, catch fleas;, hunt over each other's heads like so many monkeys, etc., etc. It is like living in a museum; but as to the beauty and gracefulness of which we read so much, I cannot detect it, though really looking for it. Persons over forty look worn out, and females at that age are haggard; over that period, they are. ghastly and mummified. Macaroni hangs out, in some quarters, before the doors on lines to dry; and the flies, which are numerous upon it, give it anything but an attractive appearance."


And there you have it. For those of you who dwell in this city... need we say anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment